I have written recently about the point of space clearing and ways to clear your space.
I also wanted to write about when you should cleanse your space and how to smudge as this is my favourite way of clearing my space.
Included below is a step by step guide on how to smudge, an intention to say and a lovely Home Blessing I have written to help you fully cleanse your space and fill it with positive vibes!
Whatever transpires in your environment is absorbed into the walls, furniture, carpet, ceiling, and objects, therefore space clearing is important to release negative energies.
Negative energies can accumulate quickly, especially after an argument or if anyone using the space has been feeling sad, fearful or low.
Old energy can also get stuck in the corners and tucked away places, so these are good places to focus on if your space has had a few challenges!
When Should You Clear Your Space?
♡ After an argument
♡ After any energy work, especially if you or another has released old emotions
♡ After you declutter
♡ When you move into a new home
♡ When someone moves out
♡ After a divorce or break-up
♡ After an illness or death
♡ When you buy an antique or second-hand item
♡ Anytime you wish to bring in fresh energy!
How to Smudge Your Space
1. Clean your space ~ hoover, dust and tidy up before smudging!
2. Create a strong intention in your mind to clear the space in order to bring in vibrant, healthy energy. It is important that you set an intention or say a blessing as you work with White Sage to cleanse, as it reminds the energies that you are releasing that they are unwelcome and that you want them to leave!
3. Keep the windows and doors closed to the room you have chosen to smudge.
4. Burn White Sage (or you can use Cedar, Palo Santo wood or any other type smudging herb you like to work with) to clear the negative energy. Place your White Sage over a heatproof bowl or Albone shell, light the sage and then using your hand or a feather waft the smoke all around the room. As the smoke moves through the room or over a surface, the smoke attaches itself to any heavy, negative energy that is within the space, object or being. As the smoke clears, the spirit of White Sage carries with it the negative energy that was once attached, back up to the Spiritual Light. Please see below for safety tips!
5. Start in one corner of the room and gently waft the smoke after it spirals above the bowl, from the floor up to the ceiling. Always start from the bottom and move to the top – this is the natural pattern of smoke – to move up and carry away. Then move from the back most corner of the room, and move to the next corner, following the same pattern.
6. If you encounter a window, waft smoke into the four corners of the window, starting from the lower left corner of the window moving to the upper left, then to the upper right, then back down to the lower right. Seal the window by completing the “loop”, in other words, make sure the smoke is wafted over the entire window frame.
7. Then move to the next corner, and waft smoke from the bottom to the top of the corner, and once you complete the final corner, move to the centre of the move, raise the bowl to chest height, and waft smoke up towards the room centre. You are now done with this room. When you leave, shut the door behind you and allow the smoke to penetrate the room for at least 15 minutes.
8. Upon returning, open the windows and doors to release the energies that have attached to the smoke and fresh energy to enter.
9. As you are smudging, you can also imagine brilliant white light filling the whole space and state your intention or a blessing out loud in each room. Please see below for a blessing I have written that I use myself or you can create your own!
10. To end the cleanse, I either light a candle or an incense and give thanks. For example, “I am so grateful for all the love, harmony, and healthy energy in my home right now.”
Set an Intention
An intention that you state out loud as you are smudging could be something like this:
“I release all energies that no longer serve my highest good to be released from this space and into the divine light. Loving and peaceful energy is welcome and invited in now. This is my sacred space, and anything that no longer serves me is released with this sacred smoke.”
This is a blessing I wrote and I use it when I smudge.
“I bless this home with love and light.
Happiness and abundance is my right.
Let peace and love flow everywhere
Into each room, crack and stair.
Fill this home with pure delight
And make all my wishes come to light.
I like to end a blessing with these words, so you can choose if you want to say them at the end.
“By the power of three, blessed be.”
A Few Safety Tips!
♡ Use a heatproof bowl or an Abalone shell, to put the sage in, after it has been ignited.
♡ Be safe and keep the air as still as possible when you smudge.
♡ No fans, or open doors and windows. Any gust of wind could further ignite the sage and blow sparks and ashes out of the bowl!
♡ Avoid wearing billowy clothing and tie back your long hair, if you have it. You’re about to have a mini-fire in your hands, treat it with respect and please be careful.
♡ Light the sage at the very tips of the leaves on top of the wand. Once the flames come to life, blow them out quickly. Do not let it flame burn. Once it is lit, and the flame is blown out, it will smoke.
♡ The old energy is released with the smoke, not with the flames.
♡ Place the lit, smoking top of the wand of sage, down inside the bowl, and rest the sides of the wand on the edge of the bowl. Use your hand or a feather to “waft” the smoke.
If you would like some help on your journey, please visit Blissfully Free and get in touch. I offer Intuitive Readings and Healings to help you move forward.
Thank you for reading and sharing my posts and for your kind donations to help me run this blog. I am incredibly grateful for your support.